Mary Gardiner Laird
Mary Gardiner Laird was born on 5 May 1887 at Gardiners Land, Thornwood, Lanarkshire, Scotland ,
LAIRD Mary Gardiner
Parents: Alexander Laird, Coal Miner & Elizabeth Laird MS Hotchkis
Married: 30 July 1883, Bothwell
Alexander Laird, father registered the birth.1,2
She was the daughter of Alexander Laird and Elizabeth Rae Hotchkis.
Mary appeared on the 1891 Scottish Census of 5 Apr 1891 in the household of Alexander Laird at Youngs Terrace, Thorniewood, Lanarkshire, Scotland ;
LAIRD Alexander, Head, 26, Check Weigh Man, Braehead, Lanark
LAIRD Elizabeth, Wife, 27, Ballieston Lanark
LAIRD Elizabeth, Dau, 7, Scholar, Uddingston
LAIRD William, Son, 5, Scholar, Uddingston
LAIRD Jeannie, Dau, 1, Uddingston
LAIRD Mary, Dau, 3, Uddingston.3
Mary witnessed the marriage of William Watson and Elizabeth Wotherspoon Laird on 9 Jun 1911 The Royal Hotel, Uddingston, Lanarkshire, Scotland .1,4
Mary Gardiner Laird married Archibald St Clair McKay on 7 Jun 1912 at Young's Buildings, Thornwood, Lanarkshire, Scotland ,
After Publication, According to the Forms of the United Free Church of Scotland
Archibald St Clair McKay
Iron worker, Bachelor, aged 23
Res: Eastbourne Terrace, Mossend, Bellshill
Parents: Archibald McKay, Commerical Traveller & Thomasina McKay MS Tweedie
Mary Gardner Laird
Spinster, aged 24
Res: 1 Young's Buildings, Thornwood
Parents: Alexander Laird, Coal Miner (dec) & Elizabeth Laird, MS Hotchkis
Witnesses: William Mitchell & Jeanie Laird.1,5
As of 7 Jun 1912,her married name was McKay.
Uncertain what has happened to Mary.
Cannot seem to locate another marriage that fits, nor death.
Only death not looked at is Mary Gardiner Laird, aged 90, in 1998 (b 1908), Bellshill, 566/341
When Archibald remarried in 1914 to Abigail Gray, he states he is a Bachelor.
Did they divorce, Did Mary die ???
Much research yet to be done to solve the mystery.
Family: Mary Gardiner Laird and Archibald St Clair McKay
|Father||Alexander Laird (11 Oct 1864 - 17 Jan 1906)|
|Mother||Elizabeth Rae Hotchkis (29 Jan 1864 - 14 Nov 1942)|
- [S1] Certificate held on file, Held by Ailsa Corlett, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. Hereinafter cited as Certificate held on file.
- [S11] Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, 1887 Bothwell Lanark, 625/01 0221. Hereinafter cited as Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes.
- [S16] 1891 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 5 April 1891), 1891 Bothwell Lanark, 625/01 ED 8A Page 20 via Ancestry.co.uk. Hereinafter cited as 1891 Scottish Census.
- [S11] Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, 1911 Bothwell Lanark, 625/01 0059.
- [S11] Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, 1912 Bothwell Lanarkshire, 625/1 32.