Agnes Brown McFarlane
Agnes Brown McFarlane was born on 13 Mar 1885 at 53 Bankier Street, Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland ,
At 2.40 AM
Parents: James McFarlane, Pasty Baker (Foreman) & Isabella McFalane MS Gardner
Married: 28th March 1878, Blantyre
James McFarlane, Father was the informant of the birth.1,2
She was the daughter of James McFarlane and Isabella Gardiner.
Agnes appeared on the 1901 Scottish Census of 31 Mar 1901 in the household of Thomas Brown at 85 Albert Road, Cathcart, Lanarkshire, Scotland ;
BROWN Thomas, Head, 42, Wine Merchant, Larkhall Lanark
BROWN Janet, Wife, 43, Dykeshead, Lanark
MCFARLANE Agnes B, Niece, 16, Glasgow Lanark
RARITY Bella, Servant, 24, Glasford, Lanark.3
Agnes Brown McFarlane was also known as Agnes Brown.
Agnes appeared on the 1911 Scottish Census of 2 Apr 1911 in the household of Thomas Brown at 17 Sherbrooke Avenue, Pollokshields, Lanarkshire, Scotland ;
BROWN Thomas, Head, 52, Mar, Wine & Spirit Merchant, Employer, Dalserf Lanark - Rooms with one or more windows - 13
BROWN Janet, Wife, 54, Mar, No children born or died, Old Monkland Lanark
BROWN Agnes, Niece, 26, Single, Glasgow, Lanark
(is recorded under Brown rather than her surname of McFarlane)
REID Bella, Servant, 19, Single, Domestic Servant, Dalserf
REID Janet, Servant, 18, Single, Domestic Servant, Dalserf.4
Agnes Brown married John Smith on 2 Aug 1912 at St Gilberts Parish Church, Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland ,
After Banns according to the Forms of the Church of Scotland
John Smith Jnr, Restauateur, (Bachelor), aged 27
Usual Res: 14 Albert Road East Glasgow
Parents: John Smith, Restaurateur & Mary Smith MS Conner
Agnes Brown, (Spinster), aged 27
The above surname I have borne since childhood Signed AB
Parents: James McFarlane, Baker & Isabella McFarlane MS Gardiner (dec)
Witnesses: Alexander Fleming Wylie & Isabella McFarlane.1,5
As of 2 Aug 1912,her married name was Smith.
Agnes Brown and John Smith had a marriage notice on 3 Aug 1912 in the "The Glasgow Herald", Scotland ,
At St Gilbert's Church, Pollokshields, on 2nd August, by the Rev W S Provand, St Ninan's Parish Church, assisted by the Rev David Graham, St Gilberts. John, younger son of John Smith, Esq, Rosewood, Crosshill to Agnes, niece of Thomas Brown, Esq, The Tower, Pollokshields.6
Agnes died in 1969 at Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland , at age 83 years
Agnes Smith, aged 84yrs.7,8
Family: Agnes Brown McFarlane and John Smith
|Father||James McFarlane (7 Aug 1857 - a 1926)|
|Mother||Isabella Gardiner (23 Feb 1859 - 20 Nov 1905)|
- [S1] Certificate held on file, Held by Ailsa Corlett, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. Hereinafter cited as Certificate held on file.
- [S11] Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, 1885 Calton Glasgow Lanark, 644/04 0434. Hereinafter cited as Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes.
- [S63] 1901 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 31 March 1901), 1901 Cathcart Lanarkshire, ED 5 Page 5, Reg No 560B via Ancestry.co.uk, Oct 2013. Hereinafter cited as 1901 Scottish Census.
- [S136] GRO Scotland, 1911 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 2 April 1911), 1911 Pollokshields, Govan, Lanark, 644/18 025/00 007. Hereinafter cited as 1911 Scottish Census.
- [S11] Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, 1912 Pollokshields Glasgow Lanark, 644/18 0231.
- [S10] Newspaper, Various Papers, The Glasgow Herald, Saturday Aug 3, 1912 , 130th Year No 186 via Google newspapers
. Hereinafter cited as Newspaper Article.
- [S11] Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, 1969 Morningside Edinburgh City Midlothian, 685/07 0648.
- [S205] Letter or email from Arthur F Jones (Dumbarton, Scotland) to Ailsa Corlett, Various letters or emails; Held by Ailsa Corlett (Brisbane, Queensland, Australia) email Oct 2014.