Margaret Davidson was born on 23 Mar 1830 at Pencaitland, East Lothian, Scotland .
She was the daughter of George Davidson and Marion King.
Margaret Davidson was baptised on 11 Apr 1830 in Pencaitland, East Lothian, East Lothian,
DAVIDSON - 1830
Margaret Daughter of George Davidson, Collier West Pencaitland and Marion King his spouse was born 23rd March and baptised 11th April 1830.
Witnesses: Robert Strathern & Charles Wilson.1,2
Margaret appeared on the 1841 Scottish Census of 6 Jun 1841 in the household of William Simpson at Fountain Hall, Pencaitland, East Lothian, Scotland ;
SIMPSON William, 25, Coal Miner, Yes
SIMPSON Marion, 35, Yes
SIMPSON James, 6, Yes
SIMPSON Christian, 4, Yes
SIMPSON John, 2, Yes
SIMPSON Janet, 15, Yes
SIMPSON Ann, 10, Yes
SIMPSON Margaret, 10, Yes.3
Margaret appeared on the 1851 Scottish Census of 30 Mar 1851 at West Peaston, East Lothian, Scotland ;
HERKES John, Head, 44
HERKES family and servants
DAVIDSON Margaret, Servant, 21, Pencaitland Haddington.4
Margaret Davidson married Alexander Purdie c 1857 at Midlothian, Scotland ,
Cannot locate marriage at this stage in Scotland or in England.
As of c 1857,her married name was Purdie.
Margaret appeared on the 1861 English Census of 7 Apr 1861 in the household of Alexander Purdie at Spring View, Radcliffe, Lancashire, England;
PURDIE Alex, Head, Mar, 26, Stone Mason, Born Scotland
PURDIE Margaret, Wife, Mar, 30, born Scotland.5
Margaret appeared on the 1871 Scottish Census of 2 Apr 1871 in the household of Alexander Purdie at 91 Almada Street, Hamilton, Lanarkshire, Scotland ;
PURDIE Alexander, Head, Mar, 39, Stone Mason Foreman, Hamilton Lanark
PURDIE Margaret, Wife, Mar, 40, Pencaithland Haddington
PURDIE Marion, Dau, 7, Scholar, England.6
Margaret appeared on the 1881 Scottish Census of 3 Apr 1881 in the household of Alexander Purdie at 70 Almada Street, Hamilton, Lanarkshire, Scotland ;
PURDIE Alexander, Head, Mar, 47, Forman Mason, Hamilton Lanark
PURDIE Mararet, Wife, Mar, 50, Pencaitland Haddington
PURDIE Marion, Dau, 17, Saleswoman, England.7
Margaret died on 26 Apr 1886 at 71 Almada Street, Hamilton, Lanarkshire, Scotland , at age 56 years, 1 month and 3 days
married to Alexander Purdie, Mason (foreman)
At 3:00am aged 54yrs
Parents: George Davidson, Gardener (jobbing) & Marion Simpson previously Davidson MS King
Alex Purdie, Widower was present at her death.1,8
Margaret's cause of death on 26 Apr 1886 was from Cancer of Womb - 9 months.
Child of Margaret Davidson
- Charles Martin Davidson/Simpson+ (3 Apr 1856 - 2 Sep 1937)
|Father||George Davidson (16 Aug 1796 - 12 Jun 1832)|
|Mother||Marion King (13 Oct 1802 - 25 Jan 1876)|
- [S1] Certificate held on file, Held by Ailsa Corlett, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. Hereinafter cited as Certificate held on file.
- [S32] GROS, Scottish OPR's (www.scotlandspeople.co.uk: pre 1855), 1830 Pencaitland East Lothian, 716/0030 0064. Hereinafter cited as Scottish OPR's.
- [S82] 1841 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 6 June 1841), 1841 Pencaitland East Lothian, 716/00 004/00 007. Hereinafter cited as 1841 Scottish Census.
- [S28] 1851 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 30 March 1851), 1851 Ormiston East Lothian, 715/ ED 3 Line 16. Hereinafter cited as 1851 Scottish Census.
- [S30] 1861 English Census (www.ancestry.co.uk: PRO England, 7 April 1861), 1861 Radcliffe, Radcliffe, District 5 Lancashire. Hereinafter cited as 1861 English Census.
- [S76] 1871 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.co.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 2 April 1871), 1871 Hamilton, Lanarkshire, 647/ ED 2 Line 10. Hereinafter cited as 1871 Scottish Census.
- [S76] 1871 Scottish Census, 1871 Hamilton Lanarkshire, 647/ ED 1 Line 25.
- [S11] Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, 1886 Hamilton Lanark, 647/00 0225. Hereinafter cited as Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes.