Marion Purdie was born in 1863 at Bury, Lancashire, England,
Mothers MS: Davidson.1
She was the daughter of Alexander Purdie and Margaret Davidson.
Marion appeared on the 1871 Scottish Census of 2 Apr 1871 in the household of Alexander Purdie at 91 Almada Street, Hamilton, Lanarkshire, Scotland ;
PURDIE Alexander, Head, Mar, 39, Stone Mason Foreman, Hamilton Lanark
PURDIE Margaret, Wife, Mar, 40, Pencaithland Haddington
PURDIE Marion, Dau, 7, Scholar, England.2
Marion appeared on the 1881 Scottish Census of 3 Apr 1881 in the household of Alexander Purdie at 70 Almada Street, Hamilton, Lanarkshire, Scotland ;
PURDIE Alexander, Head, Mar, 47, Forman Mason, Hamilton Lanark
PURDIE Mararet, Wife, Mar, 50, Pencaitland Haddington
PURDIE Marion, Dau, 17, Saleswoman, England.3
Marion Purdie witnessed the death of Alexander Purdie on 9 Jan 1888 Waverley Bridge foot of Backburn Street, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland ,
(Widower of Margaret Davidson)
at 10.30 AM aged 53
Usual Res: 70 Almada Street, Hamilton
Parents: William Purdie, Mason (dec) & Janet Purdie MS Craig (dec)
Marion Purdie, Daughter was present when he died.4,5
Marion Purdie was the executor of Alexander Purdie's estate on 23 Jan 1888 at Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland ,
23 January 1888
Confirmation of Alexander Purdie, Builder, Almada Street, Hamilton, who died 9 January 1888, at Edinburgh, intestate, granted at Hamilton, to Marion Purdie, his only child, Executrix dative qua next of kin.
Value of Estate £86 9s.6
Marion Purdie married William George Strathearn on 2 Feb 1888 at Hamilton, Lanarkshire, Lanarkshire,
After Banns according to the Forms of the Church of Scotland
William George Strathearn,
Commercial Clerk, Bachelor aged 25
Usual Res: 36 Bank Street, Hillhead, Partick
Parents: Davidson Strathearn, Grocer (Master) & Jane Strathearn MS Anderson
Spinster, aged 24
Usual Res: 70 Almada Street, Hamilton
Parents: Alexander Purdie, Mason (Foreman) & Margaret Purdie MS Davidson (both deceased)
Witnesses: Robert Anderson Strathearn & Hellen Young.4,7,8
As of 2 Feb 1888,her married name was Strathearn.
Marion appeared on the 1911 Scottish Census of 2 Apr 1911 at 244 West Princes Street, Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland ;
STRATHEARN Marion, Head, 45, Widow, Married 33yrs, No Children born or deceased, Born England
HADDOW Arthur H, Lodger, 35, Single, Jeweller, Own Account, England
LANGWAGEN Paul, Lodger, 25, Single, Consulate Clerk, German Consul, Germany, German
CARON Jacques, Lodger, 19, Single, Correspondence Clerk, Export Merchant, France, French.9
Marion died on 30 Jan 1930 at Victoria Infirmary, Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland , at age 67 years
(Widow of William George Strathearn, Commercial Traveller)
Usual Res: 244 West Princes Street, Glasgow
At 0.10 AM aged 66
Parents: Alexander Purdie, Builder (Dec) & Margaret Purdie MS Davidson (dec)
John Purdie, Cousin, 6 Mount Vernon Avenue, Coatbridge was the informant.4,10
Marion's cause of death on 30 Jan 1930 was from Carcinoma of the common bileduct - 3 yrs
with secondaries in liver
Death Following operation.
Family: Marion Purdie and William George Strathearn
|Father||Alexander Purdie (c 1835 - 9 Jan 1888)|
|Mother||Margaret Davidson (23 Mar 1830 - 26 Apr 1886)|
- [S78] BDM Indexes online: England Civil Registration online, findmypast.co.uk . Online www.findmypast.com/ www.ancestry.co.uk;, 1863 Sept Qtr , Bury Lancashire, Vol 8c Page 419 Bury, Mothers Maiden Name: Davidson.
- [S76] 1871 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.co.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 2 April 1871), 1871 Hamilton, Lanarkshire, 647/ ED 2 Line 10. Hereinafter cited as 1871 Scottish Census.
- [S76] 1871 Scottish Census, 1871 Hamilton Lanarkshire, 647/ ED 1 Line 25.
- [S1] Certificate held on file, Held by Ailsa Corlett, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. Hereinafter cited as Certificate held on file.
- [S11] Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, 1888 Saint Giles Edinburgh 685/04 0043. Hereinafter cited as Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes.
- [S232] Scotland, National Probate Calendar (Calendar of Confirmations and Investories) 1876-1936, 1888 Scotland National Probate Index, 1876-1836 via Ancestry - Page 617, Ancestry.co.uk.
- [S11] Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, 1888 Hamilton Lanark, 647/00 0037.
- [S197] Letter or email from Mary Legarth (New Zealand) to Ailsa Corlett, Various letters or emails; Held by Ailsa Corlett (Brisbane, Queensland, Australia) Descandant Tree of John King dated 2008.
- [S136] GRO Scotland, 1911 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 2 April 1911), 1911 Hillhead Lanarkshire, 644/129/6. Hereinafter cited as 1911 Scottish Census.
- [S11] Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, 1930 Cathcart Lanark, 644/24 0102.