Neil Fairholm Scott
Neil Fairholm Scott was born on 22 Dec 1900 at Provident Building, Thorniewood, Lanarkshire, Scotland ,
Neil Fairholm Scott
Parents: Adam Scott, Watchmaker (Master) & Marion Pichard Scott MS Fairholm.
Married: March 23rd 1888, Carnwath.
Adam Scott, Father was present at the birth.1,2
He was the son of Adam Scott and Marion Pickard Farm.
Neil appeared on the 1901 Scottish Census of 31 Mar 1901 in the household of Adam Scott at Provident Place, Uddingston, Lanarkshire, Scotland ;
SCOTT, Adam, Head, M, 38, Watch Maker & Hawker, Own Account, Forth, Lanark
SCOTT, Marion, Wife, M, 33, Watch Maker & Hawker Wife, Forth, Lanark
SCOTT, Robert, Son, 12, Scholar, Forth, Lanark
SCOTT, Annie, Dau, 8, Scholar, Forth, Lanark
SCOTT, Adam, Son, 6, Scholar, Forth, Lanark
SCOTT, Neil, Son, 3 months, Bothwell, Lanark
SCOTT, James, Brother, S, 22, Coal Miner, Worker, Forth, Lanark.3
Neil appeared on the 1911 Scottish Census of 2 Apr 1911 in the household of Adam Scott at Provident Building, Tannochside, Lanarkshire, Scotland ;
SCOTT Adam, Head, 48, Mar, Pit Headman, Colliery, Worker, Carnwath Lanark
SCOTT Marion, Wife, 43, Mar, married 23yrs, 5 children, 4 living, Sub PostMistress, Worker, At home, Carnwath
SCOTT Annie, Dau, 18, Single, Assistant PostMistress, Worker, At Home, Carnwath
SCOTT Adam, Son, 16, Single, Clerk, Colliery, Worker, Carnwath
SCOTT Neil, Son, 10, School, Carnwath.4
Neil Fairholm Scott married Mary Gardner Laird Simpson, daughter of William Simpson and Mary Laird, on 7 Mar 1924 at United Free Church Manse, Aitkenhead, Bothwell, Lanarkshire, Scotland ,
After Publication According to the Forms of the United Free Church of Scotland.
Neil Fairholm Scott
Commercial Motor Driver, Bachelor, aged 23
Usual Res: Provident Place Tannochside
Parents: Adam Scott, Pitheadman & Marion Pickard Scott MS Fairholm
Mary Gardner Laird Simpson
Domestic Servant, Spinster, aged 20
Usual Res: 2 Birkenshaw Terrace Tannochside
Parents: William Simpson, Coal Miner & Mary Gardner Simpson MS Laird
Witnesses: Alex Smith, Birkenshaw Gardens Uddingston & Maggie Simpson, County Houses, Birkenshaw Uddingston.1,5
Neil Fairholm Scott immigrated on 23 Oct 1925 from Southampton via the "Remuera" to Auckland, New Zealand, also on board were listed Mary and Adam
Remuera Sailed 23 Oct 1925 and arrived in Auckland 30 Nov 1925.
Ticket No A161, 3rd Class
SCOTT Neil, last address: PO Tannochside, Motor Driver, aged 24
SCOTT Mary, Housewife, aged 21
SCOTT Adam, aged 1
They were part of the assisted immigration scheme.
Adam was dressed up as Cupid when they crossed the equator.
Mary was pregnant with Isabel during the voyage and was not well.
They arrived in Auckland on the 30 Nov 1925 and being part of the 380 passengers heading for the South, which left by the two evening expresses.6,7
30 Nov 1925 Neil Fairholm Scott was mentioned in the "Auckland Star", New Zealand , newspaper
Settlers from Britain
REMUERA BRINGS GOOD TYPE
A fine lot of new settlers for New Zealand arrived by the New Zealand Shipping Company's steamer Remuera this morning from London. There were about 500 people on board, of whom 287 were assisted by the Government under the immigration scheme. Probably a third of the newcomers are from Scotland. They are a good type of people on the ship, and the amount of money they changed showed that they had not come empty-handed. Auckland takes 94 of the total, Wellington 86, Dunedin 22, and Lyttelton 20. Mr V Mills, of the Immigration Department, was in charge of the arrangements for the reception of the newcomers, and as usual everything worked like clock-work. The people for the South are leaving this evening by special train.
Except for the first few days after leaving England the trip was made in fine weather, and the passengers thoroughly enjoyed the run. Captain Cameron, who is so well and favourably known in New Zealand ports, endeared himself to his passengers by the keen interest he took in their welfare. In addition to looking after their material comforts, the versatile captain gave three lectures - on Pitcairn, the Panama Canal and on New Zealand. His address on life in the new land was full of excellent advice. The ship's officers assisted as usual in helping to make the large number on board enjoy the trip. Concerts, dances and lectures were frequent, and an energetic sports committee carried through an excellent programme on the voyage.
The details of the assisted passengers among the new arrivals are as follow:
Dunedin: 6 Men; 10 Women; 6 children - Total of 22.8
Neil Fairholm Scott was on the 1928 Electoral Roll Dunedin, Otago, New Zealand , also listed in the household was Mary
SCOTT Neil Fairholm, 12 Islington St, St Kilda, tram conductor
SCOTT Mary Louisa, 12 Islington St, St Kilda, married.9
Neil Fairholm Scott married Maggie Gerrard Innes, daughter of John Whyte Innes and Margaret Ann Gerrard, on 4 Dec 1929 at Residence of Mrs R Kay, 27 Littlebourne Road, Dunedin, Otago, New Zealand ,
Neil Fairholm Scott, aged 28, Tram Conductor, Widower 26 April 1929, born Glasgow Scotland
Parents: Adam Gibson Scott, Pithead Foreman & Marion Pickard Fairholm
Maggie Gerrard Innes, aged 27, Spinster, born Glasgow Scotland
Parents: John White Innes, Police Constable & Margaret Gerrard
Witnesses: Muriel Kay, 27 Littlebourne Road, Domestic & Harold W Cope, 11 Parkhill Ave, Mornington, Compositor.1,10
Neil Fairholm Scott was on the 1935 Electoral Roll Dunedin, Otago, also listed in the household was Maggie
SCOTT Neil Fairholm, 30 Embo St, tram conductor
SCOTT Margaret Gerrard Innes, 30 Embo St, married.11
Neil recorded the birth of Baby Girl Stillborn Scott on 21 Jun 1937 Batchelor Hospital, Dunedin, Otago, New Zealand ,
Parents: Neil Fairholm Scott, Bus Driver, 36, Born Glasgow Scotland & Margaret Innes, 35, Born Glasgow Scotland.
Married: 4 Dec 1929
Living Issue: M: 6, 5 F: 3
No deceased issue.
Neil F Scott, Father, 30 Embo Street, Kew, was the informant on the certificate.1,12
Neil was a Mason and belonged to Scottish Kiwini Lodge.
He also was very musical and could play the piano accordion by air as well as the piano. ( Pop taught me how to play the piano and after he died my parents got the piano for me to learn on).
Neil died on 27 Jul 1962 at 30 Embo Street, Dunedin, Otago, New Zealand , at age 61 years, 7 months and 5 days
Neil Fairholm Scott, Motor Driver, aged 61
Parents: Adam Gibson Scott & Marion Pickard, Shopkeeper
Born Glasgow Scotland, in NZ 37 years.
A: to Mary Gibson (sic), at Bellshill, Lanarkshire, Scotland aged 23
Living Children: M: 38 F: 36, 34
B: to Margaret Gerard Innes, at Dunedin, aged 30. Margaret aged 60
Living Children: M: 31, 29 F: 27, 21.1,13
Neil's cause of death on 27 Jul 1962 was from Coronary artery occlusion instantaneous
Toxic myocarditis 1 wk
Recurring bronchitis 1mth.
Neil's death notice appeared on 28 Jul 1962 in the "Otago Daily Times", New Zealand ,
On July 27th 1962 (suddenly) at his residence 30 Embo St, Kew
Neil Fairholm dearly beloved husband of Margaret Scott, and loved father of Adam, Isabel (Mrs Milne), June (Mrs Clark), Neil (Mataura) Robert (Kaitangata) Vera (Mrs Bryant, Christchurch) and Ruby (Mrs Blewden) in his sixty- second year.
The funeral will leave Our Chapel 325 Great King St today (Saturday) the 28th inst at the conclusion of a service commencing at 11.45am for the Andersons Bay Cemetery.
R McLean & Son Ltd, funeral directors
SCOTT Neil Fairholm,
30 Embo St, Dunedin, beloved granddad (Pop) of Sandra and Janice Scott, Gaynor and John Milne, Louise and Tony Clark, Sharen, Jackey and Debra Scott (Mataura), Margaret, Robert and Brian Scott (Kaitangata), and Allan, Dianne and Tony Bryant (Christchurch) - Ever remembered.14
Neil was buried on 28 Jul 1962 at Anderson's Bay Cemetery, Dunedin, Otago, New Zealand ,
my dear husband Neil Scott
d 27 July 1962 aged 62
Also his loved wife
Margaret Gerrard Scott
d 15 April 1973.
Always in our thoughts.15
2 children are still living.
Children of Neil Fairholm Scott and Mary Gardner Laird Simpson
- Adam Gibson Scott
- Isabella Gardner Laird Scott
Children of Neil Fairholm Scott and Maggie Gerrard Innes
- Neil Fairholm Scott
- Robert Kay Scott
- Baby Girl Stillborn Scott
|Father||Adam Scott (9 Jun 1862 - 6 Jun 1926)|
|Mother||Marion Pickard Farm (25 Apr 1867 - 17 Apr 1946)|
- [S1] Certificate held on file, Held by Ailsa Corlett, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. Hereinafter cited as Certificate held on file.
- [S11] Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, 1901 Bothwell Lanark, 625/01 0022. Hereinafter cited as Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes.
- [S63] 1901 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 31 March 1901), 1901 Bothwell, Lanark, Page 24. Hereinafter cited as 1901 Scottish Census.
- [S136] GRO Scotland, 1911 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 2 April 1911), 1911 Bothwell Lanark, 625/01 014/00 001. Hereinafter cited as 1911 Scottish Census.
- [S11] Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, 1924 Bothwell Lanark, 625/01 0016.
- [S61] Passenger Lists, Shipping Records ), Britain: outbound passenger lists 1890 - 1960 "Remuera" pg 11 - via findmypast.co.uk. Hereinafter cited as Shipping Records.
- [S10] Newspaper, Various Papers, Auckland Star, Vol LVI, Issue 283, 30 November 1925, Page 6 & 7. Hereinafter cited as Newspaper Article.
- [S10] Newspaper Article, Auckland Star, Vol LVI, Issue 283, 30 November 1925, Page 8.
- [S6] Elections, Electoral Roll (Auckland, New Zealand: BAB Microfilming, 1853 - 1967), 1928 Electoral Roll, Dunedin South - Supplimenty roll
. Hereinafter cited as Electoral Roll.
- [S2] NZRGO, Lower Hutt, New Zealand, NZ BDM Indexes, Held by Ailsa Corlett, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, NZ Online Database: 1929/ 7183. Hereinafter cited as NZ BDM Indexes.
- [S6] Electoral Roll, 1935 Electoral Roll, Dunedin South.
- [S2] NZRGO, Lower Hutt, New Zealand, NZ BDM Indexes: 1937 DIA Online Indexes for stillborns. 1937/53011 - Parents Maragert and Neil Fairholm Scott.
- [S2] NZRGO, Lower Hutt, New Zealand, NZ BDM Indexes: NZ Online Database: 1963/ 34208 aged 62.
- [S10] Newspaper Article, Otago Daily Times, 28 July 1962, as Sighted McNabb Library Dunedin, 4 Sept 2002.
- [S3] NZSG, NZ Cemetery Records (Auckland, New Zealand & Online Council Databases: NZSG, 1988), V6 No 3276. Block 251 Plot 4. Hereinafter cited as NZ Cemetery Records.