Margaret Dick was born c 1833 at Paisley, Renfrewshire, Scotland ,
Parents: George Dick & Mary McNaught.
Margaret Dick married Robert Temple, son of David Temple and Jean Gardner, on 26 Mar 1854 at Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland ,
Robert Temple, Teacher in Glasgow, & Margaret Dick residing there.1,2,3
As of 26 Mar 1854,her married name was Temple.
Margaret appeared on the 1861 Scottish Census of 7 Apr 1861 at 79 East Neilson Street, Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland ;
Temple Margaret, Head, Wife, 24, Power Loom Weaver, Paisley Renfrewshire
(none of the children were with Margaret on the night, maybe Margaret was not feeling well as she would have been about 3mths pregnant with her next child, Margaret. The two boys David and George where with their Grandmother and Great Grandmother that night.4 )
Margaret died on 6 Dec 1865 at 15 George Street, Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland ,
Margaret Temple, married to Robert Temple, Teacher of English
Aged 32, at 6PM
Parents: George Dick, Cotton Spinner (dec) & Mary Dick MS McNaught (dec)
Robert Temple, Widower was the informant.1,5
Margaret's cause of death on 6 Dec 1865 was from Metritis - 4 days
(Inflammation of the womb)
Margaret had just had her last child Robert on the 12 November, just 3 weeks ago.
Robert and Margaret lost the 4 youngest children all within the year of their births.
Mary with Hydrocephalus, Mary with Dibility from Birth, Jane with Bronchitis and Robert with a Brain Affection.
Margaret also lost her life soon after the birth of Robert.
Suspect that life in the early 1860's would have been very hard, there was small pox, Whooping Cough and lots of Tuberculosis around and sanitry conditions were very poor. The fact of also losing 4 very young children would have been very hard emotionally to handle. The conditions the children had most likely today would have been prevented or cured very easily.
Children of Margaret Dick and Robert Temple
- [S1] Certificate held on file, Held by Ailsa Corlett, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. Hereinafter cited as Certificate held on file.
- [S11] Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, 1854 Glasgow Lanark, 644/01 0440 0438. Hereinafter cited as Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes.
- [S33] Birth Marriage and Burial Entries, International Genealogical Index & Family Search Web Site (IGI) : Family Search Web site, From 2000), "Scotland, Marriages, 1561-1910," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XTBH-CYB : accessed 05 Oct 2013), Robert Temple and Margaret Dick, 26 Mar 1854.
Film No 0102929, 0102930, 1042943, 0102928, 1042991, 1042962.
- [S79] 1861 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.co.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 7 April 1861), 1861 St John Glasgow Lanark, ED 97 Page 17 Reg No: 644/2 via Ancestry.co.uk. Hereinafter cited as 1861 Scottish Census.
- [S11] Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, 1865 Bridgeton Glasgow Lanark, 644/03 1410.