George Simpson was born c 1848 at Pencaitland, East Lothian, Scotland ,
George states on his marriage certificate that his parents are:
William Simpson (Agricultural Labourer) and Marion Simpson MS King (not deceased) (his Grandparents)
but on his death certificate it is recorded that he was illegitimate and Mother was Ann Davidson (Domestic Servant) (not deceased)
record of baptism not located at this stage.
He was the son of James Oliver and Ann Davidson.
George Simpson was also known as George Simpson Oliver.
George appeared on the 1851 Scottish Census of 30 Mar 1851 in the household of William Simpson at House of Muir, Ormiston, East Lothian, Scotland ;
SIMPSON William, Head, Mar, 39, Coal Manager, Salton, Haddington
SIMPSON Marion, Wife, Mar, 47, Gladsmuir, Haddington
SIMPSON James, Son, U, 16, Coal Miner, Pencaitland
SIMPSON Christian, Dau, U, 14, Pencaitland
SIMPSON John, Son, 11, Pencaitland
SIMPSON Marion, Daur, 6, Pencaitland
OLIVER George S., Grandchild, 2, Pencaitland.1
George appeared on the 1861 Scottish Census of 7 Apr 1861 in the household of William Simpson at Fountain Hall, Pencaitland, East Lothian, Scotland ;
SIMPSON William, Head, Mar, 49, Clerk of Colliery, Salton, Haddington, 2 rooms with windows
SIMPSON Marion, Wife, Mar, 57, Gladsmuir
SIMPSON John, Son, 21, Coal Miner, Pencaitland
SIMPSON George, Wifes Grandson, 12, Pencaitland
MARTIN Charles, Wifes Grandson, 5, City of Edin, Parish Not Known.2
George witnessed the marriage of John Henry Hamilton and Marion Simpson on 27 Nov 1868 Ormiston Schoolroom, Ormiston, East Lothian, Scotland .3,4
George witnessed the marriage of Robert Temple and Georgina Lamb on 15 Apr 1870 Whitehousemill, Cranston, Midlothian, Scotland .3,5
George Simpson married Margaret Stewart, daughter of Walker Stewart and Helen Mack, on 3 Jun 1870 at West Byres, Ormiston, East Lothian, Scotland ,
After Banns according to the Forms of the Church of Scotland
George Simpson (Miner) Single, aged 22
Usual Res: Preston Hall Toll, Parish of Cranston
Parents: William Simpson, Agricultural Labourer & Marion Simpson MS King
Margaret Stewart her X mark, Maid Servant, (WT Williamson & William Simpson, Witnesses) aged 20
Usual Res: West Byres, Parish of Ormiston
Parents: Walker Stewart, Blacksmith (dec) and Helen Stewart MS Mark (dec)
Witnesses: Robert Johnston and Catherine Rankine.3,6,7
George recorded the birth of William Simpson on 17 Aug 1870 Ormiston, East Lothian, East Lothian,
Parents: George Simpson, Coal Miner & Margaret Stewart
Married 3 June 1870 Ormiston
George Simpson, Father was the informant.3,8
George appeared on the 1871 Scottish Census of 2 Apr 1871 at Ormiston, East Lothian, East Lothian, also listed in the household was Margaret and William ;
SIMPSON George, Head, M, 22, Coalminer, Pencaitland, Haddington, 1 window
SIMPSON Margaret, Wife, M, 20, Coal Miners Wife, Tranent, Haddington
SIMPSON William, Son, 7 mths, Ormiston, Haddington.9
George died on 21 Nov 1871 at Ormiston, East Lothian, East Lothian,
SIMPSON George (Coal Miner) married to Margaret Stewart
Died at 5am aged 23 years.
Parents: Ann Davidson (Domestic Servant) is recorded as his mother
George Ross (sic) Neighbour, House of Muir was the informant.3,10
George's cause of death on 21 Nov 1871 was from Small pox 14 days.
|Father||James Oliver (22 May 1827 - )|
|Mother||Ann Davidson (23 Oct 1827 - 20 Apr 1884)|
- [S28] 1851 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 30 March 1851), 1851 Ormiston East Lothian, 715/00 002/00 010. Hereinafter cited as 1851 Scottish Census.
- [S79] 1861 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.co.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 7 April 1861), 1861 Pencaitland East Lothian, 716/00 003/00 002 & 003. Hereinafter cited as 1861 Scottish Census.
- [S1] Certificate held on file, Held by Ailsa Corlett, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. Hereinafter cited as Certificate held on file.
- [S11] Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, 1868, Ormiston, Haddington, East Lothian, 715/00 0008. Hereinafter cited as Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes.
- [S11] Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, Cranston, Edinburgh, Midlothian, 680/00 0003.
- [S11] Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, 1870 Ormiston Haddington East Lothian 715/00 0004.
- [S33] Birth Marriage and Burial Entries, International Genealogical Index & Family Search Web Site (IGI) : Family Search Web site, From 2000), March 2002, M117151.
- [S11] Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, 1870 Ormiston Haddington, 715/00 0022.
- [S76] 1871 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.co.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 2 April 1871), 1871 Ormiston Haddington East Lothian 715/00 002/000 009. Hereinafter cited as 1871 Scottish Census.
- [S11] Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, Ormiston East Lothian, 715/00 0019.