James Simpson was born on 3 Dec 1834 at Pencaitland, East Lothian, Scotland ,
James son of William Simpson labourer Wester Pencaitland and Marion King his spouse was born 3rd Dec 1834 and baptised 17th March 1835.
Witnesses: David Lamb and James Henderson.1,2
He was the son of William Simpson and Marion King.
James appeared on the 1841 Scottish Census of 6 Jun 1841 in the household of William Simpson at Fountain Hall, Pencaitland, East Lothian, Scotland ;
SIMPSON William, 25, Coal Miner, Yes
SIMPSON Marion, 35, Yes
SIMPSON James, 6, Yes
SIMPSON Christian, 4, Yes
SIMPSON John, 2, Yes
SIMPSON Janet, 15, Yes
SIMPSON Ann, 10, Yes
SIMPSON Margaret, 10, Yes.3
James appeared on the 1851 Scottish Census of 30 Mar 1851 in the household of William Simpson at House of Muir, Ormiston, East Lothian, Scotland ;
SIMPSON William, Head, Mar, 39, Coal Manager, Salton, Haddington
SIMPSON Marion, Wife, Mar, 47, Gladsmuir, Haddington
SIMPSON James, Son, U, 16, Coal Miner, Pencaitland
SIMPSON Christian, Dau, U, 14, Pencaitland
SIMPSON John, Son, 11, Pencaitland
SIMPSON Marion, Daur, 6, Pencaitland
OLIVER George S., Grandchild, 2, Pencaitland.4
James Simpson married Agnes Raeburn, daughter of John Raeburn and Elizabeth Wilson, on 1 Apr 1859 at Fala, Fala, Midlothian, Scotland ,
Marriage (after Banns) was Soleminized between us according to the Forms of the United Presbyterian Church.
James Simpson, 23, Farm Servant, Bachelor
Parents: William Simpson, Coal Steward & Marion King
Agnes Raeburn, 20, Spinster
Res: Whitburgh, Parish of Humbie
Parents: John Raeburn, Farm Servant & Elizabeth Wilson
Witnesses: William Raeburn and Ann Bell.1,5,6
James appeared on the 1861 Scottish Census of 7 Apr 1861 at Farm Cottage, Bolton, East Lothian, Scotland , also listed in the household was Agnes and William ;
SIMPSON James, Head, 26, Ploughman, Pencaitland Haddington
SIMPSON Agnes, Wife, 27, Humbie
SIMPSON William, Son, 1, Bolton
TROUPA Alexander, Boarder, 49.7
James appeared on the 1871 Scottish Census of 2 Apr 1871 at Broomhouse, Corstorphine, Midlothian, Scotland , also listed in the household was Agnes, William, Marion, John, Thomas and Elizabeth ;
SIMPSON James, Head, 36, Ploughman, Pencaitland, Haddington
SIMPSON Agnes, Wife, 31, Humbie
SIMPSON William, Son, 11, Scholar, Ormiston
SIMPSON Marion, Dau, 7, Scholar, Ormiston
SIMPSON John, Son, 5, Ormiston
SIMPSON Thomas, Son, 3, Pencaitland
SIMPSON Elizabeth, Dau, 9mths, Corstorphine.8
James died on 8 Apr 1878 at Roslin, Laswade, Midlothian, Scotland , at age 43 years, 4 months and 5 days
James Simpson, Agricultural labourer,
( married to Agnes Raeburn)
At 3:00 AM aged 42 yrs.
Parents: William Simpson, Agricultural Labourer & Marion King (dec)
Henry Wright, Farm Griger, Burdie House Loanhead was the informant
RCE 23 May 1878.1,9
James's death notice appeared on 9 Apr 1878 in the Edinburgh Evening News, Scotland ,
FATAL ACCIDENT AT ROSLIN
On Saturday morning, while James Simpson, a farm servant, was employed in a stable at Roslin Farm, one of the horses kicked him severely on the abdomen. He died yesterday of the injuries he had sustained.10
James's cause of death on 8 Apr 1878 was from Injury to Abdomen from kick from Horse - 36 hours.
James Simpson, 42yr, Male
8th April 1878, In the house of Alexander Stoddart, Farm Overseer at Bolton
Severe injuries to the person by being kicked on the Abdomen by a Horse.
James was buried on 10 Apr 1878 at Liberton Churchyard, Liberton, Midlothian, Scotland .
Children of James Simpson and Agnes Raeburn
|Father||William Simpson (c 1812 - 25 Nov 1888)|
|Mother||Marion King (13 Oct 1802 - 25 Jan 1876)|
- [S1] Certificate held on file, Held by Ailsa Corlett, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. Hereinafter cited as Certificate held on file.
- [S32] GROS, Scottish OPR's (www.scotlandspeople.co.uk: pre 1855), 1835 Pencaitland East Lothian, 716/0030 0092. Hereinafter cited as Scottish OPR's.
- [S82] 1841 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 6 June 1841), 1841 Pencaitland East Lothian, 716/00 004/00 007. Hereinafter cited as 1841 Scottish Census.
- [S28] 1851 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 30 March 1851), 1851 Ormiston East Lothian, 715/00 002/00 010. Hereinafter cited as 1851 Scottish Census.
- [S11] Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, 1859 Fala & Soutra, Midlothian, 686/00 0002. Hereinafter cited as Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes.
- [S33] Birth Marriage and Burial Entries, International Genealogical Index & Family Search Web Site (IGI) : Family Search Web site, From 2000), M116861.
- [S79] 1861 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.co.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 7 April 1861), 1861 Bolton East Lothian, 704/ ED 2 Line 22. Hereinafter cited as 1861 Scottish Census.
- [S76] 1871 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.co.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 2 April 1871), 1871 Corstorphine Midlothian, 678/ ED 2 Line 1. Hereinafter cited as 1871 Scottish Census.
- [S11] Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, 1878 Laswade Edinburgh, 691/00 0072.
- [S10] Newspaper, Various Papers, Edinburgh Evening News 9 April 1878, page 2 - via Findmypast.co.uk. Hereinafter cited as Newspaper Article.