Janet Caird Simpson
Janet Caird Simpson was born on 7 Apr 1865 at Fountainhall, Pencaitland, East Lothian, Scotland ,
Janet Caird SIMPSON
Mother: Marion Simpson, Domestic Servant
Helen Simpson Her X Mark, Grandmother was present at the birth.
(suspect this is an error in the Grandmothers name, most likely to be Marion Simpson.)1,2
She was the daughter of Marion Simpson.
Janet appeared on the 1871 Scottish Census of 2 Apr 1871 in the household of William Simpson at Murray Dell, Cranston, Midlothian, Scotland ;
SIMPSON William, Head, Mar, 60, Roadman, Salton, Haddington, 1 room with windows
SIMPSON Marion, Wife, Mar, 68, Gladsmuir
MARTIN Charles, Grandson, 15, Farm Servant, Pencaitland
CAIRD Janet, Grand Daur, 6, Pencaitland.3
Janet Caird Simpson was also known as Janet Caird Hamilton.
Janet appeared on the 1881 Scottish Census of 3 Apr 1881 in the household of John Henry Hamilton at 138 High Street, Inveresk, Midlothian, Scotland ;
HAMILTON John H, Head, 42, labourer, Yester East Lothian
HAMILTON Marion, Wife, 35, Fountainhall East Lothian
HAMILTON Janet C, Dau, 16, Farm Servant, House of Muir East Lothian
HAMILTON Marion, Dau, 14, Book Stall Servant, Rosewell Edin
HAMILTON David A, Son, Scholar, Fountainhall East Lothian
HAMILTON Christina, Dau, 7, Scholar, Fordell Fife
HAMILTON William B, Son, 5, Scholar, Pathead Edin
HAMILTON Henerietta, Dau, 3, Craighart Edin
HAMILTON John, Son, 1, Craigentiney Edin.4
Janet Caird Hamilton married James Hope on 27 Oct 1882 at Inveresk Manse, Musselburgh, Midlothian, Scotland ,
After Banns according to the Forms of the Church of Scotland
James Hope, Ploughman, (Bachelor) aged 21, Monktonhall, Inveresk
Parents: James Hope, Agricultural labourer & Janet Horsburgh
Janet Caird Hamilton, Agricultural Labourer, (Spinster) aged 18, Monktonhall Inveresk
Parents: John Hamilton, Surfaceman on Railway & Marion Simpson
Witnesses: Marion Skirving & Thomas Welsh.1,5
As of 27 Oct 1882,her married name was Hope.
Janet appeared on the 1891 Scottish Census of 5 Apr 1891 in the household of James Hope at Melville Grange, Liberton, Midlothian, Scotland ;
HOPE James, Head, 27, Farm Servant, Inveresk Edin
HOPE Janet Hamilton W, Wife, 25, Pencaitland Haddington
HOPE James, Son, 8, Scholar, Inveresk
HOPE Marion, Dau, 5, Inveresk.6
Janet appeared on the 1901 Scottish Census of 31 Mar 1901 in the household of James Hope at 3 W Mains Cotter Houses, Liberton, Midlothian, Scotland ;
HOPE James, Head, 39, Ploughman, Inveresk
HOPE Janet, Wife, 36, Pencaitland
HOPE James, Son, 18, Corn Merchants Vanman, Inveresk
HOPE Marion, Dau, 15, Farm Worker, Inveresk
HOPE Jessie, Dau, 9, Scholar, Liberton
HOPE William, Son, 4, Liberton
HOPE Isabella, Dau, 2, Liberton.7
Children of Janet Caird Simpson and James Hope
|Mother||Marion Simpson (c 1845 - 27 Oct 1916)|
- [S1] Certificate held on file, Held by Ailsa Corlett, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. Hereinafter cited as Certificate held on file.
- [S11] Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, 1865 Pencaitland, Haddington, East Lothian, 716/00 0012. Hereinafter cited as Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes.
- [S76] 1871 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.co.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 2 April 1871), 1871 Cranston, Edinburgh, Midlothian, 680/00 003/00 008. Hereinafter cited as 1871 Scottish Census.
- [S15] 1881 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 3 April 1881), 1881 Inveresk Midlothian, 689/ ED 8 Line 17. Hereinafter cited as 1881 Scottish Census.
- [S11] Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, 1882 Inveresk & Musselburgh, Edinburgh Midlothian, 689/00 0060.
- [S16] 1891 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 5 April 1891), 1891 Liberton Midlothian, 693/ ED 7 Line 17. Hereinafter cited as 1891 Scottish Census.
- [S63] 1901 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 31 March 1901), 1901 Liberton Midlothian, 693/ ED 1 LIne 8. Hereinafter cited as 1901 Scottish Census.