John Simpson was born on 30 May 1865 at Ormiston, East Lothian, Scotland .1
He was the son of James Simpson and Agnes Raeburn.
John appeared on the 1871 Scottish Census of 2 Apr 1871 in the household of James Simpson at Broomhouse, Corstorphine, Midlothian, Scotland ;
SIMPSON James, Head, 36, Ploughman, Pencaitland, Haddington
SIMPSON Agnes, Wife, 31, Humbie
SIMPSON William, Son, 11, Scholar, Ormiston
SIMPSON Marion, Dau, 7, Scholar, Ormiston
SIMPSON John, Son, 5, Ormiston
SIMPSON Thomas, Son, 3, Pencaitland
SIMPSON Elizabeth, Dau, 9mths, Corstorphine.2
John appeared on the 1881 Scottish Census of 3 Apr 1881 in the household of William Simpson at Pirntation Farm Ploughman's House, Stow, Midlothian, Scotland ;
SIMPSON William, Head, 21, Ploughman, Ormiston
SIMPSON Agnes, Mother, 40, Humbie
SIMPSON Marion, Sister, 17, Field Worker, Ormiston
SIMPSON John, Brother, 15, Field Worker, Ormiston
SIMPSON Thomas, Brother, 13, Field Worker, Pencaitland
SIMPSON Elizabeth, Sister, 10, Scholar, Corstophine
SIMPSON Janet, Sister,8, Scholar, Pencaitland
SIMPSON Mary, Sister, 4, Scholar, Ormiston
SIMPSON James, Brother, 2, Liberton.3
John appeared on the 1891 Scottish Census of 5 Apr 1891 in the household of Agnes Simpson at Bellsmains, Borthwick, Midlothian, Scotland ;
SIMPSON Agnes, Head, Widow, 50 born East Lothian
SIMPSON John, Son, Unm, 25, Pit Bottomer, East Lothian
SIMPSON Thomas, Son, Unm, 22, Miller, East Lothian
SIMPSON Janet, Dau, Unm, 18, Farm Servant, East Lothian
SIMPSON James, Son, 12, Scholar, Midlothian
BOLD Matthew, Grandson, 9, Scholar, Midlothian.4
John appeared on the 1901 Scottish Census of 31 Mar 1901 at 10 Tait Street, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland , also listed in the household was Agnes and James ;
SIMPSON John, Head, M. 35, Head Lorryman, Pestonkirk East Lothian
SIMPSON Jessie, Wife, M, 34, Logcote Pebbleshire
SIMPSON James, Son, 3, Fusie Bridge Midlothian
SIMPSON John Y, Son, 1, Standpoetty Midlothian
SIMPSON Agnes, Mother, Widow, 62, Waitbury, East Lothian
SIMPSON James, Brother, Unm, 22, Lorryman, Burdiehouse, Midlothian
SIMPSON Jessie Hame, Neice, 8, Swanston, Midlothian.5
|Father||James Simpson (3 Dec 1834 - 8 Apr 1878)|
|Mother||Agnes Raeburn (c 1840 - 13 Mar 1908)|
- [S33] Birth Marriage and Burial Entries, International Genealogical Index & Family Search Web Site (IGI) : Family Search Web site, From 2000), Scotland, Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.2/MBDF-N21 : accessed 14 Jun 2014), John Simpson, 30 May 1865; citing ORMISTON,EAST LOTHIAN,SCOTLAND, reference ; FHL microfilm 6035516.
- [S76] 1871 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.co.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 2 April 1871), 1871 Corstorphine Midlothian, 678/ ED 2 Line 1. Hereinafter cited as 1871 Scottish Census.
- [S15] 1881 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 3 April 1881), 1881 Stow Midlothian, 699/ ED 7 Line 18. Hereinafter cited as 1881 Scottish Census.
- [S16] 1891 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 5 April 1891), 1891 Borthwick Midlothian RG12/ 2. Hereinafter cited as 1891 Scottish Census.
- [S63] 1901 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 31 March 1901), 1901 St Andrew, Edinburgh, Midlothian, RG13. Hereinafter cited as 1901 Scottish Census.