Robert Simpson was born on 4 Apr 1799 at Ormiston, Haddingtonshire, Scotland ,
James Simpson & Janet Howden had a son born 4th & Baptized 16th April 1799 named Robert.1,2
He was the son of James Simpson and Janet Houden.
Robert Simpson married Mary Simpson, daughter of George Simpson and Mary Mitchell, on 31 May 1829 at Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland ,
Robert Simpson, G.Servant in Charlotte Square St Georges Parish & Mary Simpson in same place & Parish, 3 Procle & no objections.1,3
Robert appeared on the 1851 Scottish Census of 30 Mar 1851 at 5 Hamilton Place, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland , also listed in the household was Mary, Margaret, Jessie, James and Barbara ;
SIMPSON Robert, Head, 50, Servant, Salton Haddington
SIMPSON Mary, Wife, 48, Edinburgh
SIMPSON Margaret, Dau, 18, Edinburgh
SIMPSON Janet, Dau, 14, Edinburgh
SIMPSON James, Son, 11, Edinburgh
SIMPSON Barbara, Dau, 7, Edinburgh.4
Robert appeared on the 1871 Scottish Census of 2 Apr 1871 at 20 India Place, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland , also listed in the household was Mary and Jessie ;
SIMPSON Robert, Head, 71, Coachman, Haddington
SIMPSON Mary, Wife, 67, Edinburgh
SIMPSON Jessie, Dau, 29, Edinburgh.5
Robert Simpson witnessed the death of Mary Simpson on 12 Dec 1873 Edinburgh, Midlothian, Midlothian,
Mary Simpson, married to Robert Simpson, Coachman
At 5:20am aged 71yrs
Parents: George Simpson, Blacksmith (dec) & Mary Simpson MS Mitchell (dec)
Robert Simpson, Widower was present at her death.1,6
Robert's cause of death on 27 Feb 1877 was from Chronic Absess, 8 months
Robert died on 27 Feb 1877 at Edinburgh, Midlothian, Midlothian, at age 77 years, 10 months and 23 days
Robert Simpson, Cabman, Widower of
1st: Mary Howden
2nd: Mary Simpson
At 1:50am aged 78yrs
Parents: James Simpson, Farm Servant (dec) & Janet Simpson, MS Howden (dec)
Jessie D Simpson, Daughter was present at his death.1,7
Children of Robert Simpson and Mary Simpson
|Father||James Simpson (c 1775 - 26 Jun 1860)|
|Mother||Janet Houden (5 Nov 1776 - 23 Jun 1840)|
- [S1] Certificate held on file, Held by Ailsa Corlett, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. Hereinafter cited as Certificate held on file.
- [S32] GROS, Scottish OPR's (www.scotlandspeople.co.uk: pre 1855), 1799 Ormiston Haddington East Lothian, 715/0010 0226. Hereinafter cited as Scottish OPR's.
- [S32] Scottish OPR's (published) 1829 Edinburgh Midlothian, 685/001 0640 0129.
- [S28] 1851 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 30 March 1851), 1851 St Cuthberts Edinburgh Midlothian, 685/2 ED8A Line 19. Hereinafter cited as 1851 Scottish Census.
- [S76] 1871 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.co.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 2 April 1871), 1871 St George, Edinburgh Midlothian, 685/1 ED 94 Line 1. Hereinafter cited as 1871 Scottish Census.
- [S11] Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, 1873 St George Edinburgh Midlothian, 685/01 1088. Hereinafter cited as Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes.
- [S11] Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, 1877 St George Edinburgh Midlothian, 685/01 0201.