Isabella Gardiner was born on 23 Feb 1859 at Dykehead, Old Monkland, Lanarkshire, Scotland ,
Parents: Alexander Gardiner, Boatman on Canal & Helen Gardiner, MS Provan
Mary Gardiner, X her mark, sister was present at her birth.1,2,3
She was the daughter of Alexander Gardner and Helen Provan.
Isabella Gardiner was also known as Isabella Gardner.
Isabella appeared on the 1861 Scottish Census of 7 Apr 1861 in the household of Alexander Gardner at Old Monkland, Lanarkshire, Lanarkshire;
GARDNER, Alexander, Head, Mar, 40, Pit Bottomer, Glasgow, Barony
GARDNER, Ellen, Wife, Mar, 39, New Monkland
GARDNER, Jean, Dau, 12, Patrick
GARDNER, Agnes, Dau, 7, Old Monkland
GARDNER, Janet, Dau, 4, Old Monkland
GARDNER, Isabella, Dau, 2, Old Monkland
LAIRD, William, Boarder, Mar, 20, Coal Miner, Old Monkland.4
Isabella appeared on the 1871 Scottish Census of 2 Apr 1871 in the household of Alexander Gardiner at Gatehouses, Blantyre, Lanarkshire, Scotland ;
GARDINER Alexander, Head, Mar, 50, Watchman, Glasgow, Lanark, 2 rooms with windows and 1 child at school
GARDINER Ellen, Wife, 46, New Monkland
GARDINER Elizabeth, Dau, Un, 26, Mill worker, Govan
GARDINER Agnes, Dau, Un, 17, Mill worker, Old Monkland
GARDINER Janet, Dau, Un, 14, Mill worker, Old Monkland
GARDINER Isabella, Dau, 12, Scholar, Old Monkland.5
Isabella Gardiner married James McFarlane on 26 Mar 1878 at Auchenraith, Blantyre, Lanarkshire, Scotland ,
After Banns according to the Forms of the Free Church of Scotland
J. McFarlane, Foreman Pastry Baker (Bachelor) aged 20.
Usual Res: 143 London Street, Glasgow
Parents: James McFarlane, Master Baker & Agnes McFarlane MS Gillies (dec)
Isabella Gardiner, Domestic Servant (Spinster), aged 19
Usual Res: 143 London Street, Glasgow
Parents: Alexander Gardiner, Pitheadman & Helen Gardiner MS Provan
Witnesses: James Cullen & Helen Meikle
(the J McFarlane on Scotslandpeople site for the certificate, classified the J as for John, this was incorrect as his name was James McFarlane.)1,6
As of 26 Mar 1878,her married name was McFarlane.
Isabella appeared on the 1881 English Census of 3 Apr 1881 in the household of James McFarlane at 29 Durham Road, Islington, London, Middlesex, England;
McFARLANE James, Head, Mar, 23, Pastry Cook, Scotland
McFARLANE Isabella, Wife, Mar, 22, Scotland
McFARLANE James, Son, 9 mths, Scotland
McFARLANE Ellen, Dau, 2, Scotland.7
Research Note: c 1889
It seems from the records that the family moved to Ireland for a time. Agnes was born in Scotland but Isabella, Janet and Margaret all in Ireland. I have searched on the Irish site and cannot locate or id their births at this stage. They were definately back in Glasgow for the 1901 Census.
As I cannot locate information about James after Isabella died, and it seems the Brown family took in the younger members as part of their own family, that perhaps James either returned to Ireland, remarried or he definately moved from Glasgow.
Isabella McFarlane witnessed the death of Mary Gardner McFarlane on 5 Dec 1898 The Fever Hospital, Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland ,
Mary Gardner McFarlane
At 6.30 PM aged 2 years
Usual Res: 38 Govanhill Street
Parents: James McFarlane, Pastry Baker (Journeyman) & Isabella McFarlance MS Gardner
Isabella McFarlane, Mother of 38 Govanhill Street was present when she passed away.1,8,9
Isabella appeared on the 1901 Scottish Census of 31 Mar 1901 in the household of James McFarlane at 136 Caledonia Rd, Govan, Lanarkshire, Scotland ;
McFARLANE James, Head, 43, Pastry Cook, Glasgow Lanark
McFARLANE Isabella, Wife, 42, Dykehead Lanark
McFARLANE James, Son, 20, Pastry Cook, Glasgow
McFARLANE Margaret, Dau, 7, Scholar, Ireland.10
Isabella died on 20 Nov 1905 at Crossingloof Building, Crossingloof, Cathcart, Renfrewshire, Scotland , at age 46 years, 8 months and 28 days
Isabella McFarlane, (Married to James McFarlane, Pastry Cook Journeyman)
at 11.50 AM aged 46 years.
Parents: Alexander Gardner, Canal Boatman (dec) & Helen Gardner MS Provan (dec)
James McFarlane, Widower was present when she passed away.1,11
Isabella's cause of death on 20 Nov 1905 was from Chronic Bright's - 12 months
Uraemia - 20 days.
Isabella's death notice appeared on 21 Nov 1905 in the "Glasgow Herald", Scotland ,
At 4 Crossingloof Buildings, Shawlands, on the 20th inst. Bella Gardiner aged 46 years, wife of James McFarlane:
Children of Isabella Gardiner and James McFarlane
- Helen McFarlane (1 Mar 1879 - 8 Apr 1962)
- James McFarlane+ (8 Jun 1880 - 18 Sep 1961)
- Agnes Brown McFarlane (13 Mar 1885 - 1969)
- Isabella McFarlane+ (13 Jan 1890 - 1976)
- Janet Brown McFarlane (5 Feb 1892 - 1982)
- Margaret McFarlane (11 Jan 1894 - c 1962)
- Mary Gardner McFarlane (13 Nov 1896 - 5 Dec 1898)
|Father||Alexander Gardner (27 Jul 1819 - 3 Jan 1881)|
|Mother||Helen Provan (c 1822 - 10 Jun 1904)|
- [S1] Certificate held on file, Held by Ailsa Corlett, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. Hereinafter cited as Certificate held on file.
- [S11] Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, 1859 Old Monkland Lanark, 652/01 0064. Hereinafter cited as Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes.
- [S33] Birth Marriage and Burial Entries, International Genealogical Index & Family Search Web Site (IGI) : Family Search Web site, From 2000), "Scotland, Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FQH2-8RJ : accessed 06 Oct 2013), Isabella Gardiner, 23 Feb 1859.
Film No 6035516.
- [S79] 1861 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.co.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 7 April 1861), 1861 Old Monkland Lanark, 652/01 011/01 014 & 015. Hereinafter cited as 1861 Scottish Census.
- [S76] 1871 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.co.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 2 April 1871), 1871 Blantyre Lanark, 624/00 007/000 001. Hereinafter cited as 1871 Scottish Census.
- [S11] Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, 1878 Blantyre Lanark, 624/00 0019 - (recorded as John McFarlane for the J, but this is incorrect as his name was James McFarlane).
- [S80] 1881 English Census (www.ancestry.co.uk: PRO England, 3 April 1881), 1881 Islington, London Middlesex, RG 11/260 Folio 48 pg 16. Hereinafter cited as 1881 English Census.
- [S11] Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, 1898 St Rollox Lanark, 644/06 1454.
- [S205] Letter or email from Arthur F Jones (Dumbarton, Scotland) to Ailsa Corlett, Various letters or emails; Held by Ailsa Corlett (Brisbane, Queensland, Australia) email Oct 2014.
- [S63] 1901 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 31 March 1901), 1901 Glasgow Govan Lanark, ED 25, Page 19 Reg No 644/11 via Ancestry.co.uk. Hereinafter cited as 1901 Scottish Census.
- [S11] Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, 1905 Cathcart Renfrew, 560/00 0452.
- [S10] Newspaper, Various Papers, Glasgow Herald - Nov 21, 1905 Tuesday - 123th Year - No 278. Hereinafter cited as Newspaper Article.