Agnes Gardner was born on 19 Mar 1854 at Langloan, Lanarkshire, Scotland .
She was the daughter of Alexander Gardner and Helen Provan.
Agnes Gardner was baptised on 7 May 1854 in Coatbridge Free Church, Coatbridge, Lanarkshire, Scotland ,
Parents: Alexander Gardner & Helen Provan
Born: 19 March 1854, Langloan
Bapt: 7 May 1854
All three Helen, Jane and Agnes Baptised same day.1,2
Agnes appeared on the 1861 Scottish Census of 7 Apr 1861 in the household of Alexander Gardner at Dykehead, Old Monkland, Lanarkshire, Scotland ;
GARDNER, Alexander, Head, Mar, 40, Pit Bottomer, Glasgow, Barony
GARDNER, Ellen, Wife, Mar, 39, New Monkland
GARDNER, Jean, Dau, 12, Patrick
GARDNER, Agnes, Dau, 7, Old Monkland
GARDNER, Janet, Dau, 4, Old Monkland
GARDNER, Isabella, Dau, 2, Old Monkland
LAIRD, William, Boarder, Mar, 20, Coal Miner, Old Monkland.3
Agnes Gardner was also known as Agnes Gardiner.
Agnes appeared on the 1871 Scottish Census of 2 Apr 1871 in the household of Alexander Gardiner at Gatehouses, Blantyre, Lanarkshire, Scotland ;
GARDINER Alexander, Head, Mar, 50, Watchman, Glasgow, Lanark, 2 rooms with windows and 1 child at school
GARDINER Ellen, Wife, 46, New Monkland
GARDINER Elizabeth, Dau, Un, 26, Mill worker, Govan
GARDINER Agnes, Dau, Un, 17, Mill worker, Old Monkland
GARDINER Janet, Dau, Un, 14, Mill worker, Old Monkland
GARDINER Isabella, Dau, 12, Scholar, Old Monkland.4
Agnes witnessed the marriage of Thomas Brown and Janet Gardner on 26 Mar 1878 Auchenworth, Lanarkshire, Scotland .1,5
Agnes witnessed the marriage of Henry Robertson and Jane Gardner on 19 Aug 1878 Auchinraith, Blantyre, Lanarkshire, Scotland .1,6
Agnes Gardiner married Balfour Seator Nicoll on 2 Sep 1878 at 143 London Street, Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland ,
After Banns according to the Forms of the Established Church of Scotland
Balfour S Nicoll, Joiner (Journeyman) (Bachelor) Aged 33
Usual Res: 26 High Patrick Street, Hamilton
Parents: Gordon Nicoll, Miltary (sic) Officer (dec) & Euphemia Nicoll MS Seater (dec)
Agnes Gardiner, Waitress in Restaurant (Spinster) aged 24
Usual Res: 143 London Street, Glasgow
Parents: Alexander Gardiner, Coal Pitheadman & Helen Gardiner MS Provan
Witnesses: Helen Meikle & Charles Laird.1,7
As of 2 Sep 1878,her married name was Nicoll.
Agnes immigrated on 20 Sep 1878 from Greenock via "Clara" to Brisbane Queensland, Australia, with Balfour Seator Nicoll
Arrived Brisbane 20 Jan 1879
Quarantined: 30 Dec 1878 - 20 Jan 1879
NICOLL Balfour, aged 23, Adult
NICOLL Agnes, aged 24, Adult.8
Agnes immigrated on 10 Apr 1892 from Brisbane via "SS India" to London, England, with Balfour Seator Nicoll
Inwards list 13 April 1892
NICOLL, Balf. S - Scotch Adult
NICOLL Agnes, - Adult
NICOLL Alex G - Between 1 - 12yrs
NICOLL Euphemia - Between 1 - 12yrs
NICOLL Thomas B - Between 1 - 12yrs.9
Agnes appeared on the 1901 Scottish Census of 31 Mar 1901 in the household of Balfour Seator Nicoll at 224 Pollokshaws Rd, Back Land, Govan, Lanarkshire, Scotland ;
NICOLL Balfour Seaten, Head, 55, Wine & Spirit Merchant, Westsay, Orkney
NICOLL Agnes Gardner, wife, 45, Coatbridge Lanark
NICOLL Alexander Gardner, Son, 21, Joiner, Australia
NICOLL Euphemia Leatu (sic), Dau, 18, At Home, Australia
NICOLL Thomas Brown, Son, 14, Office Lad, Australia.10
Agnes appeared on the 1911 Scottish Census of 2 Apr 1911 in the household of Balfour Seator Nicoll at 224 Pollokshaws Road, Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland ;
NICOLL Balfour Seator, Head, Mar, 63, Wine & Spirit Merchant, Employer, Westray Orkney
NICOLL Agnes Gardiner, Wife, Mar, 56, married 32 years, 3 children born, all still living, Langloan Lanark
NICOLL Alexander Gardiner, Son, 31, Single, House Joiner, worker, Brisbane Queensland, (Bit Sub by parentage)
NICOLL Thomas Brown, Son, 24, Single, Accountant Clerk, worker, Brisbane Queensland, (Bit Sub by parentage.)11
Agnes died on 16 Feb 1916 at 224 Pollokshaw Road, Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland , at age 61 years, 10 months and 28 days
At 6PM aged 61 years
Married to Balfour Seater Nicoll, Spirit Merchant.
Parents: Alexander Gardiner, Night Watchman (dec) & Helen Gardiner MS Provan (dec)
Thomas A Nicoll, Son, was present when she passed away.1,12
Agnes's cause of death on 16 Feb 1916 was from Malignant Disease Kidney - 12 months
Pernicious anaemia - 9 months.
Agnes's death notice appeared on 17 Feb 1916 in the "Glasgow Herald", Scotland ,
At 224 Pollokshaws Road, Glasgow, on the 16th last. Agnes Gardner, aged 61. wife of Blafour S Nicoll, Spirit Merchant, and daughter of the late Alexander Gardner, late of Blantyre. Overseas papers please copy: funeral private.13
Children of Agnes Gardner and Balfour Seator Nicoll
|Father||Alexander Gardner (27 Jul 1819 - 3 Jan 1881)|
|Mother||Helen Provan (c 1822 - 10 Jun 1904)|
- [S1] Certificate held on file, Held by Ailsa Corlett, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. Hereinafter cited as Certificate held on file.
- [S32] GROS, Scottish OPR's (www.scotlandspeople.co.uk: pre 1855), 1854 Coatbridge Free Chruch Presbyterian Records, Lanark - CH3/491/1415. Hereinafter cited as Scottish OPR's.
- [S79] 1861 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.co.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 7 April 1861), 1861 Old Monkland Lanark, 652/01 011/01 014 & 015. Hereinafter cited as 1861 Scottish Census.
- [S76] 1871 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.co.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 2 April 1871), 1871 Blantyre Lanark, 624/00 007/000 001. Hereinafter cited as 1871 Scottish Census.
- [S11] Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, Blantyre Lanark, 624/00 0018. Hereinafter cited as Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes.
- [S11] Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, 1878 Blantyre Lanark, 624/00 0036.
- [S11] Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, 1878 Blackfriars Glasgow Lanark, 644/05 0144.
- [S61] Passenger Lists, Shipping Records ), Index to Registers of Immigrant Ship Arrival Qld 1848 - 1912, Serives ID 13006
"Clara" - 20 Jan 1879, Pg 170, QSA Item ID 18478 via online http://www.archives.qld.gov.au/. Hereinafter cited as Shipping Records.
- [S61] Shipping Records, UK Imcoming Passenger Lists, 1878 - 1960, BT26, Piece 31, Item 31, via Ancestry.co.uk.
- [S63] 1901 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 31 March 1901), 1901 Glasgow Govan Lanark, ED 14, Page 16 Reg No 644/12 via Ancestry.co.uk. Hereinafter cited as 1901 Scottish Census.
- [S136] GRO Scotland, 1911 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 2 April 1911), 1911 Gorbals, Glasgow Lanark, 644/17 026/00 018. Hereinafter cited as 1911 Scottish Census.
- [S11] Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, 1916 Gorbals Glasgow Lanark, 644/17 0085.
- [S10] Newspaper, Various Papers, Glasgow Herald - Feb 17, 1916 Thursday - 134th Year - No 41. Hereinafter cited as Newspaper Article.