Elizabeth Gardner was born c 1844 at Govan, Lanarkshire, Scotland ,
Birth not recorded on Family Search or on Scotlandspeople site.
She was the daughter of Alexander Gardner and Helen Provan.
Elizabeth appeared on the 1851 Scottish Census of 30 Mar 1851 in the household of Alexander Gardner at Browns Square, Langloan, Lanarkshire, Scotland ;
GARDNER, Alexander, Head, Mar, 30, Carter, Barony Lanarkshire
GARDNER, Helen, Wife, Mar, 30, New Monkland Lanarkshire
GARDNER, Mary, Dau, 9, Scholar, Conderit Stirlingshire
GARDNER, Elizabeth,Dau,7, Scholar, Govan Renfrewshire
GARDNER, Helen, Dau, 4, Govan Renfrewshire
GARDNER, Jane, Dau, 2, Barony Lanarkshire.1
Elizabeth Gardner was also known as Elizabeth Gardiner.
Elizabeth appeared on the 1871 Scottish Census of 2 Apr 1871 in the household of Alexander Gardiner at Gatehouses, Blantyre, Lanarkshire, Scotland ;
GARDINER Alexander, Head, Mar, 50, Watchman, Glasgow, Lanark, 2 rooms with windows and 1 child at school
GARDINER Ellen, Wife, 46, New Monkland
GARDINER Elizabeth, Dau, Un, 26, Mill worker, Govan
GARDINER Agnes, Dau, Un, 17, Mill worker, Old Monkland
GARDINER Janet, Dau, Un, 14, Mill worker, Old Monkland
GARDINER Isabella, Dau, 12, Scholar, Old Monkland.2
Elizabeth Gardiner married Peter Brown Gourlay on 26 Jun 1874 at Blantyre, Lanarkshire, Scotland ,
After Banns according to the Forms of the Free Church of Scotland.
Coal Miner, Widower, aged 42yrs. Usual Res Larkhall
Parents: James Gourley, Gardener (dec) & Susan Gourley MS Falconer (dec)
Elizabeth Gardiner (X her mark),
Cotton Factory Weaver, Spinster, aged 31yrs.
Usual Res Blantyre.
Parents: Alexander Gardiner, Labourer & Helen Gardiner MS Provan.
Witnesses: Francis Gilchrist and Jean Gardiner.3,4
As of 26 Jun 1874,her married name was Gourlay.
Elizabeth appeared on the 1881 Scottish Census of 3 Apr 1881 in the household of Peter Brown Gourlay at 12 Margaret Place, Larkhall, Lanarkshire, Scotland ;
GOURLAY Peter B, Head, M, 49, m, Coalminer, Dalziel, Lanark
GOURLAY Elizabeth, Wife, M, 39, F, Partick, Lanark
GOURLAY Barbara, Dau, 12, F, Scholar, Larkhall, Lanark
GOURLAY Nelly, Dau, 3 months, F, Larkhall, Lanark.5
Elizabeth appeared on the 1891 Scottish Census of 5 Apr 1891 at Larkhall, Lanarkshire, Lanarkshire, also listed in the household was Nelly and Susan ;
COURLAY Elizabeth, Head, 47, Housekeeper ? Barony Lanark
COURLAY Susan, Dau, 25, Silk weaver, Dalserf
COURLAY Nelly, Dau, 10, Scholar, Dalserf.6
Elizabeth appeared on the 1901 Scottish Census of 31 Mar 1901 at Larkhall, Lanarkshire, Lanarkshire, also listed in the household was Nellie and Ellen ;
GOURLAY Elizabeth, Head, W, 56, no occupation listed, Partick, Lanark, 2 rooms with windows
GOURLAY Nellie P, Dau, S, 20, Silk Weaver, Worker, Larkhall, Lanark
GARDINER Ellen, Mother, W, 80, Visitor, New Monkland, Lanark.7
Elizabeth died on 14 Jun 1907 at Larkhall, Lanarkshire, Lanarkshire,
Widow of Peter Gourlay, Coal Miner
at 10am aged 64yrs.
Parents: Alexander Gardiner, Labourer (dec) and Helen Provan (dec)
Archibald Burns, Son in Law was present at her death.3,8
Elizabeth's cause of death on 14 Jun 1907 was from Adeno-Saceoma - 9mths.
Elizabeth's death notice appeared on 15 Jun 1907 in the "Glasgow Herald", Scotland ,
At 12 Margaret's Place, Larkhall, on 14th inst. Elizabeth Gardiner, widow of Peter Gourlay, and second eldest daughter of the late Alexander Gardiner, Low Blantyre.9
Elizabeth was buried in Jun 1907 at "Larkhall Cemetery", Larkhall, Lanarkshire, Scotland ,
ILMO her mother Elizabeth Gardiner d. 4.6.1907 aged 84yrs, her father Peter Gourlay d. 10.3.1887 aged 55yrs.
Also the above Archibald Burns d. 15.10.1953 aged 74yrs.
Also the above Nellie Gourlay d. 3.11.1968 aged 87yr.10
Archibald and Nellie Burns
photo courtsey www.scottish-monumental-inscriptions.com
|Father||Alexander Gardner (27 Jul 1819 - 3 Jan 1881)|
|Mother||Helen Provan (c 1822 - 10 Jun 1904)|
- [S28] 1851 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 30 March 1851), 1851 Langloan Old Monkland Lanark, ED 11 Page 12, Parish No 652 via Ancestry.co.uk. Hereinafter cited as 1851 Scottish Census.
- [S76] 1871 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.co.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 2 April 1871), 1871 Blantyre Lanark, 624/00 007/000 001. Hereinafter cited as 1871 Scottish Census.
- [S1] Certificate held on file, Held by Ailsa Corlett, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. Hereinafter cited as Certificate held on file.
- [S34] Scottish Civil Registration Indexes, From 1855 1874, Blantyre Lanark 624/00 0023, Brisbane LDS Centre.
- [S15] 1881 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 3 April 1881), FHL Film 0203625 GRO Ref Vol 638-1 EnumDist 6 Page 43, Larkhall, Dalserf, Lanark. Hereinafter cited as 1881 Scottish Census.
- [S16] 1891 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 5 April 1891), via Ancestry.co.uk - 1891 Dalserf Larkhall Lanark - ED 6 pag 30, Line 12, Rego 638/1. Hereinafter cited as 1891 Scottish Census.
- [S63] 1901 Scottish Census (www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk: New Register House Edinburgh, 31 March 1901), 1901 Larkhall Lanark, 638/01 006/000 024. Hereinafter cited as 1901 Scottish Census.
- [S11] Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes, online www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, 1907 Larkhall Lanark, 638/01 0086. Hereinafter cited as Scottish Record Office BDM Indexes.
- [S10] Newspaper, Various Papers, Glasgow Herald - June 15, 1907 Saturday - 125th Year - No 143. Hereinafter cited as Newspaper Article.
- [S188] Helen Grant, Scottish Monumental Inscriptions., CD-ROM (Fife Scotland: www.scottish-monumental-inscriptions.com), Cemetery Headstones, Larkhall Cemetery CD1 - image No 954. Hereinafter cited as Scottish Monumental Inscriptions.